Friday, March 13, 2009

ending.

I am still amazed at how fast time is flying by. I feel like we just got to Illinois and tomorrow we'll be packing to go home. Spring break is ending and I'm kinda sad.

The week before spring break we had a departmental chapel. They read us this little story:

Is Your Hut Burning?

The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for God to rescue him, and every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming.

Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect him from the elements, and to store his few possessions.

But then one day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, the smoke rolling up to the sky. The worst had happened; everything was lost. He was stunned with grief and anger. "God, how could you do this to me!" he cried.

Early the next day, however, he was awakened by the sound of a ship that was approaching the island. It had come to rescue him. "How did you know I was here?" asked the weary man of his rescuers. "We saw your smoke signal," they replied.

It is easy to get discouraged when things are going bad. But we shouldn't lose heart, because God is at work in our lives, even in the midst of pain and suffering. Remember, next time your little hut is burning to the ground it just may be a smoke signal that summons the grace of God.


I think it is a great reminder of how easy it is to forget that things are in God's hands. We were asked to think about our life. When will our hut burn? The week before spring break - amidst the tests and papers due - or after spring break - in the last stretch to graduation. I know that the next few months are going to be hectic and busy. My hut is going to burn after spring break. I think that is why it is sad that it's ending.

It's not easy knowing that it could be a while before we are back here. We live a different way of life when we are here. Partly because we are on vacation when we are here, but partly because the way of life here is completely different than what we are used to. It's relaxing. I know that Jery enjoys being here, and that leaving here will be even harder this time. We know that we will come back to the states.. we just don't know when. I will probably come back more often and sooner than Jery, but again we don't know when that will be. It's easy to say bye to people when you know that in a given period of time you will see them again. Not so when you aren't sure when that will be.. months.. years..

Anyway.. reality is knocking on my door and I would rather avoid it. But being the military wife that I am.. I will put on my big girl panties and get done the things that have to get done. And pray that it does all get done.

Just remember - if your hut is burning.. God has a plan.

No comments: