Monday, February 23, 2009

thankful.

I have been puzzled by the number of homeless individuals lately. Maybe I am just more aware of them, but I feel like there are more and more corners where homeless people are standing. Today I was leaving Wal-mart and a man was standing there with a sign that said "....times are hard." I couldn't help but think about all the "successful" men and women across America that are saying the exact same thing. We can't deny that our economy is crap right now. And the extra $65 dollars a month the average America is suppose to get come April (according Mr. President on the news today) isn't going to go far for most. Despite all of this I want to be thankful.

*this list is in no specific order.. and is certainly not the order in which I value each of these*


I have a roof over my head.

I have a bed to sleep in every night *a comfy one in fact.*

I have food in my kitchen.

I have a husband who loves me.

I have a family who loves me.

I have a shower to use whenever I want.

I have a dry towel to dry off with when I get out of the shower.

I have a high school education and will complete my first college degree come May.

I have friends who are amazing.

I have a Bible that I'm free to read and carry with me where I please.

I have health insurance.

I am able to get the medicines I need.

I have dogs that are fabulous, and food to feed them too.

I have a car to take me where I need *and want* to go.

I have a phone to use at my disposal.

I have a computer of my own.

I have a home I can always go to.

I have in-laws that are great.

I have a camera to capture special moments in life.

I have a washer and dryer six steps away.

I have a bathroom three steps away.

I have clothes to wear.

I have freedom.

I have the opportunity to move to England with the man of my dreams.

I could literally go on for hours writing down all of the things that I have in my life that I ought to be thankful for. There are homeless men and women around the world who would give a lot to have just a few of the things I am blessed with. There are men and women serving in our military who would give a lot to have a bathroom a few steps away, to have a phone to use as they please, to have the things I take for granted every day. So while these "times are hard" I am going to stay focused on the things I do have rather than the things I don't. To be thankful and content with the blessings in my life. And to thank God for what He has given me.

No comments: