Thursday, February 19, 2009

handshake.

Jery and I were out and about this evening so we decided to eat out for dinner instead of coming home late and cooking! He was in uniform because he got off work late and we met in town. While we sat there enjoying our dinner an older man walked up to our table. He looked down at us and reached his hand out. Jery stood and shook his hand as the kind old man thanked him for serving our country. I looked up as he finished speaking to Jery only to find the man's hand reaching to shake my hand. He thanked me for serving our country too. I am certain that my face gave away my confusion because he continued in telling me how important it is that I support Jery.

I wanted to cry. This is not the first time we've had someone come up and want to shake Jery's hand. It was however the first time I've been included in the gesture. Just a little reminder that there are people out there who understand the importance of Jery's job as well as the importance of my job as his wife. We were blessed beyond words tonight. A few simple words from a caring old man changed the entire mood of our evening. Thank you Lord for letting that man cross our paths.

These simple gestures mean the world to these guys. It assures them that while everyone might not support the war, they support the troops. It gives them the extra energy to make it through a long night. I am now apart of this "world," but will still shake the hand of a uniformed service member when I see them. They DESERVE it!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Wes and I had lunch at zookini's the other day (wes was in uniform)and an anonymous patron bought our dinner. he told the waitress that he was a former soldier and that he would be honored to buy our lunch. How sweet! This is not the first time this has happened. It kind of makes you realize that you love your man, but others love your soldier. :)