Thursday, October 29, 2009

blessed people.

This week marked our fifth month of living in England. That's five months without:

our families,
the majority of our friends,
a walmart,
a target,
a bed bath and beyond,
good Mexican food - wait - good food period,
normal television,
American roads,
or American time zones.

BUT I have to say we're blessed. In these five months:

we have been on more road trips than we have in the four years we've known each other,
we have seen amazing places,
we have learned to rely solely on each other,
we've figured out how to drive on the other side of the road,
we've memorized British currency,
we have mastered bringing our dogs into the UK (with some help from my mama!),
we've learned what a Tesco's is,
we have laughed harder than ever before,
we have cooked at home more often than not,
we've fallen more in love with each other,
we have made some fabulous friendships,
but most importantly we have seen the faithfulness of God and the importance of a prayerful heart.

We have discovered that there is alot to living in the UK that no one warns you about. No one tells you how inconvenient life is without a Walmart. Everyone leaves out that fact that traveling on a British economy is rather expensive. They don't want you to know that in the summer time your house will be infested with flies and it will seem as though you live in a third world country. You wouldn't want to know that in the winter time there is only 6-7 hours of daylight. If they told you how annoying not having closets is - you wouldn't want to leave yours. They could even forget to tell you how a day trip to London makes all this seem petty - I've figured that out on my own.They probably won't mention that leaving all your friends behind sucks - but it's only God's way of opening doors to new friendship. The best part is, you can keep all your old friendships!

So when I get home sick, annoyed at the inconvenient way of life, or just bored of the four walls of our house I do something like this:

I take the Tube to London to stand in front of the Towers Bridge to let my husband take a picture.

Then of course, I take a picture of him.


I convince myself to get on something like this..


to see a view like this....


I definitely take the cheesy phone booth picture with Sharron [my friend I met because God is good in England too!]


I feast my eyes on Buckingham Palace..


Then do a Charlies Angel's pose on its lawn.


I discover that there's a China Town in London.


That these are being replaced by newer, uglier, not nearly as cool, more modern buses.


And I use my cell phone's "Sat Nav" to find this..


Then I take the Tube back home, and am thankful for our cute little bungalow we call home. I can face the world again, and am thrilled to be living in the UK.

"He never said it would be easy, He only said it would be worth it."

Our God is an awesome God, and He has shown Himself to us in a whole new way in the last five months.

We are blessed people.

No comments: